Electronic Arts revealed Battlefield 2042 with a reveal trailer that featured game engine footage. The game will arrive on October 22 for the Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam, Epic Games Store, and Origin.
EA confirmed that Battlefield 2042 will not have a single-player campaign and has no plans for a battle royale mode. It will be multiplayer-only game, supporting 128 players on PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S and X, while PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of the game support 64 players.
The game does not have cross-gen support between previous gen and new gen consoles. Also, there is no cross-play between PS5 and Xbox Series X/S, at least not now.
- “Battlefield 2042 Gold Edition” maksab €99.99 / $89.99
- “Battlefield 2042” Xbox series X/S ja PlayStation 5 versioon maksab €79.99 / $69.99
- “Battlefield 2042” PC, Xbox One’i ja PlayStation 4 versioon maksab €69.99 / $59.99
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and EA Play users pay €89.99 for the Battlefield 2042 Gold Edition and €71.99 for the standard version. In addition, they will have access to the beta and will be able to try the game for 10 hours on October 15th.
In Battlefield 2042, the world is on the brink. Shortages of food, energy, and clean water have led to dozens of failed nations, creating the greatest refugee crisis in human history. Among these Non-Patriated, or No-Pats, are families, farmers, engineers – and even soldiers. Amidst this crisis, the United States and Russia draw the world into an all-out war. No-Pat Specialists join both sides, not fighting for a flag, but for the future of the Non-Patriated in this new world.
Battlefield 2042 continues the series’ ambitious trajectory of incorporating cutting-edge tech to increase the size and density of its sandboxes while retooling and expanding its vast armory of gameplay modes and mechanics. It boasts one of the biggest maps in the series to date. The real-time unpredictability of extreme weather systems that’ll tear through the frontline. Enhanced terrain deformation.
There are three gameplay modes. Conquest has two teams duking it out on a huge space, with epic clashes and more personal frays playing out in pockets across a map. Breakthrough also drops two opposing sides into a single location, but is more guided: maps are divided up into sectors, in which there are multiple capture points. Attacking or defending sides need to hold points to flip sectors and shift an ever-moving frontline in their favour. You can play both modes with AI.
The third gameplay mode, Hazard Zone is still in development at Dice LA and will get a full reveal at a later date. Hazard Zone is something all-new for the franchise: a modern take on multiplayer that’s a “high-stakes, squad-based game type”. The studio is emphatic in stressing it isn’t a Battle Royale mode.
Map-specific dynamic events are teased – visibility-altering sandstorms, a space rocket launch, destructive tornadoes. That last can be turned to your advantage with, as one example, the new wingsuits. If you have wingsuit, you can ride the wind. A potent mix of on-the-fly tactics and strategies carefully considered – lowering or raising bridges, locking down cranes, managing doorways – are designed to keep you thinking and be hyper-aware of your surroundings.
There are seven maps total:
- Kaleidoscope [Sogdo, South Korea] This cityscape features dense roadways and skyscrapers that can be explored, or if you’ve a wingsuit, leapt off. It’s here that a tornado that dwarves the glittering buildings will make its presence known.
- Manifest [Brani Island, Singapore] Supply lines are under threat in this key location for global trade.
- Orbital [Kourou, French Guiana] Players will battle in the shadow of a towering space rocket pad that’s counting down to an imminent launch.
- Discarded [Alang, India] Clash around, through and on top of massive ship hulks and the surrounding cranes.
- Renewal [Eastern Desert, Egypt] Wrestle for control of an agriculture technology centre in the Egyptian Desert.
- Hourglass [Doha, Qatar] An approaching sandstorm will shift the tide of war taking place at the heart of a city.
- Breakaway [Queen Maud Land, Antarctica] From hot deserts to icy landscapes: oil and gas are the key resources being fought over here. Insert on the mountaintops with a wingsuit and you can dive into industrial buildings below.
EA confirmed that Battlefield 2042 will act as a live service game. Battlefield 2042’s first year promises four seasons of content, bringing with them four new Specialists plus new locations. Each season is marked by a new Battle Pass.
“Battlefield 2042 is an evolution of the franchise and embraces what our players want – the ultimate Battlefield multiplayer sandbox with intense combat and a ton of incredible, unexpected events,” said Oskar Gabrielson, General Manager of DICE.
The gameplay reveal is set for Sunday, June 13.